If you are looking for an easy wine night project with your friends that is fun and will make your house smell amazing... you've come to the right place. When I came across these adorable DIY ornaments on Pinterest I knew they would make a perfect Sunday night project.
If you Google 'DIY Cinnamon Ornaments' you'll come up with a handful of difference recipes and I TRIED THEM ALL! This recipe (below) yielded the smoothest looking results!
If you see a cinnamon ornament recipe that calls for white Elmer's Glue... BACK AWAY. SERIOUSLY. The formulas with glue came out lumpy. Trust me... use my recipe and you are guaranteed perfect results.
NOTE: It's also important to say they these ornaments aren't extremely fragile, but they can break so handle with care!
INGREDIENTS + TOOLS
1 cup of applesauce (any variety)
1¼ cup of ground cinnamon
Stand or hand mixer
White puff paint
Small paint brush for details
PRE: Heat your oven to 200F before you begin.
1. Dump in apple sauce and cinnamon into the bowl of stand mixer (or regular mixing bowl if you are using a hand mixer).
Note: If you are using a stand mixer... use your paddle attachment.
2. Turn on the mixer until it forms a ball of dough. Add more apple sauce or cinnamon as needed. You want a firm ball to form.
3. On a flat, clean surface roll the dough into a flat piece. About 1/4th of an inch worked for me. You could even go a bit thinner if you want.
4. Use your cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
5. Carefully place your 'cookies' into a baking sheet that has been covered with parchment paper.
6. Roll the scraps into a ball and flatten with rolling pin.
7. Repeat 'cooking making' steps.
8. When all your shapes have been laid out on the cookie sheet carefully use a straw to 'punch' holes in the top of your ornaments for string to hang them. ***See pics***
9. Place your ornaments in the oven and leave there for 1.5 - 2 hours. They are done when they are hard and void of all moisture.
10. After they have cooled, loop festive string through the hole you punched with the straw.
11. Hang on your tree and enjoy!